Pages

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Makeup Your Mind by Francois Nars

Guess who I bumped into the bookstore the other week: Francois Nars. Oh how I wish it were true, but kidding aside, I bumped into the book authored by Francois Nars titled Makeup Your Mind.

Here is the very simple but striking book sleeve. Isn't beautiful?


And let me give you the obligatory front & back cover tour with a bonus photo - the spine!



Now let us move on to the short and sweet table of contents, with the signature NARS style.



The book is actually spring bound.

 

To allow you to do this:


Francois Nars placed the before and after photos of the model side by side so we can study the difference of the two. It is supposed to help us figure out where the make was placed.


 

I particularly like how the transparent film plots out where the make up is used. But sometimes they don't align with the photo beneath that well. It is only a minor inconvenience for me. 


Everything that Francois Nars used on the model is also indicated on the transparency. Clever isn't it?

I think he anticipated that some of us might need a little more instruction to be able to make the looks he compiled in the book. So at the end of each section, he puts all the looks in the particular section and puts the instructions in detail.


I also like how all the looks are in one spread. It makes choosing what I want to try out much easier.

And I mustn't forget to mention that for each section, there is a lengthy compilation of expert tips and details. Unlike other books that discusses the basics of skin care and products. He breaks it down to the essentials and explains how to do it and what it should look like, quite well.


For each subheading, Nars also offers us some expert tips. I find it useful and could potentially make trying out the looks much easier.



I adore how he closes each write up for the section with a "Don't be afraid to..." part. It might just only be me, but it feels like reading those things from an expert gives me a little assurance. It makes me a little bit bolder in terms of trying out new things in make-up.


A word of caution though. The layout for this part is visually appealing from a far, but I find that it isn't particularly conducive to reading. But again, that is a minor thing compared to what you will learn when you read this part.

Quotes from stylish people also adds a nice touch.


The book contains beautiful timeless and versatile looks. I am pleased to welcome this in my book collection, and I'm also so pleased with Francois Nars put in the book - I became an instant Nars fan girl. He is both a makeup artist and photographer - my kind of thing. I wish he could mentor me. 

But sadly for now, I just have this lovely book. I'll try doing some of the looks and maybe post it if I'm brave enough.

I found my copy at Fullybooked store and it costs PhP1,678.00, I got 10% off because of my discount card.
This can also be bought online at narscosmetics.com for US$39.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...