Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

DIY: Makeup/Eye Shadow Palette

I recently bought a bunch of eyeshadow pans. But I had one problem, I didn't have anything that could store them. The two options I had was to spend or make a D.I.Y. eye shadow palette.
I've heard of makeup palettes being sold in the internet and pro stores but they are quite pricey plus shipping and customs add to their price tag. There are suggestions all over the internet about how you can make your own, but I'm not the DIY: eye shadow palette with a DVD case kind of girl.

When I was hunting for the perfect makeup palette for me, I had this checklist in my head:
  • it has to be magnetized - sticking a magnet at the bottom of each eyeshadow pan is too time consuming
  • the cover has to be attached to the part where the eye shadows are kept - otherwise I might loose it or forget to cover it
  • it preferably should be made out of plastic with a clear cover
  • it should be shallow enough to make it seem like the container is specially made for eye shadows
  • it should be able to hold a lot of pans
  • and it should be affordable.

I didn't find anything that met my standards and being a little obsessive compulsive, I refused to settle for anything less. But a trip to a nearby Japan Home store ended this - I was able to find materials that stirred my creative juices. I think I spent around P 170 (around USD 4) for this whole project.




So this is what I got from Japan home, the watercolor palette (P 66) and a pack of magnetic photo frames that's supposed to be for the fridge (P 66, there are 3 pcs in each pack).  The magnetic photo frames had a clear plastic slot of the photos so I just took that out since I won't be using it for that purpose.
The super glue - you can get that just about anywhere. You'd also need a permanent marker, a pair of scissors and scratch paper.





Step 1:
I took out the water color so I was left with the palette's case. Then I got a piece of scratch paper and folded it until I got the size of the palette. This will be used as a stencil to trace over the magnetic sheets.





Step 2:
I then took the stencil, placed it on top of the magnetic sheet and marked out the areas that needed to be trimmed.
The magnetic sheets I got were a little too short for the palette so I just took another piece to cover the remaining area. The second sheet might take a little longer. There might be a need to make adjustments to make sure that both sheets fit snugly in the palette.
Just a little tip if you're going to use two sheets, make sure that you use the side edges for the seam in the palette, that way there won't be gaps. The edge tends to be uneven if you're the one who cut it.



Step 3:
Use the super glue to stick the magnetic sheets on to the plastic palette. I went a little crazy with the super glue, I just wanted to use most of it since they dry out even before I use them up, but you don't need that much. Since I used two sheets, I placed enough glue on the palette for the first sheet and let it set for a while and after that' I did the same with the second one. And then you're done! 


Just let it dry and you can use it to hold your eye shadow pans.


This is my palette and it holds 32 colors in it.


If you've made a DIY palette using this post, feel free to post it in the comment box below ♥.

3 comments:

  1. Been searching for the best idea. This is it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been searching for the best idea. This is it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...