Pages

Friday, April 22, 2011

Kevyn Aucoin: Making Faces



Making Faces by Kevyn Aucoin is the first book I bought covering the subject of make up: the one that started it all. I came across this at a bookstore and saw that photo of the man which Kevyn Acoin transformed into a lady, I was completely blown away.

This is the page that I mentioned above.
This is acually a guy! Isn't Kevyn Aucoin Amazing?
To tell you the truth I have been struggling with writing this little post about Making Faces. What can yo write about a book written by one of the most sought after makeup masters of this century? But I feel that this precious book deserves a place in this blog of mine.

I could tell you about how he painstakingly goes through every detail of the process for the benefit of the beginner, and how he injects his personal thoughts and techniques in each page, just as a personal mentor would.


Or, how he lovingly introduces each participant of the book before he begins to illustrate how their looks were achieved.


This is Kevyn Aucoin's sister - Kimberly.
He takes you from the everyday looks that you could wear and always gently reminding the reader that make up is there to enhance beauty.


Lisa Marie Presley as the Bombshell - Doesn't it remind you of Marylin Munroe?
To the inspiring period looks that you probably wouldn't wear, but still encouraging the reader to take the techniques he mentions and apply it in a wearable look. 



His manner of instruction is simple, he guides you step by step, providing charts whenever needed. 

More than 4-5 years after buying Making Faces, it still inspires me, even if I've seen the portraits hundreds of times. By now you may have guessed that this is one of the most loved books in my shelf and I would strongly recommend it to anyone who asks me if it's worth reading. So if you need to be inspired or learn the basics of putting makeup this would be one of the books you could read.




Here are a few more of the book, just in case anyone's interested in it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...